These quick and easy zucchini fish cakes make for a tasty weeknight dinner or a great Saturday evening appetizer to really impress your guests!
Make these fish cakes with cod or your favorite white fish! They’re easy to make and only require 6 ingredients.
Plus, another 2 easy ingredients and you’ll have a delicious tahini sauce to serve on the side.
Related Post: Salmon Salad with Lemon Caper Dressing
Zucchini Fish Cakes
These zucchini fish cakes are made with only 6 simple ingredients which makes for an easy and manageable weeknight dinner. All you’ll need to whip up this simple dinner meal are the following ingredients:
- Cooked cod, or your favorite white fish
- Coconut oil
- Almond flour
- Himalayan salt & black pepper
Related Post: Is Salt Bad for You?
How to Prepare Zucchini Fish Cakes:
Cook the Cod (or whichever white fish you choose to use)
If your fish is already cooked or you’re using leftovers, you’re ready to go! However, if you’re starting with uncooked fish, you’ll need to cook the fish first!
Although there are different ways you can cook your white fish, I recommend baking it at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Make sure to season it with salt and pepper to bring out the great taste!
Once your fish is out of the oven, be sure to gently flake the fish using a fork. This way it will be all ready to go into the mixing bowl when you combine your ingredients!
Grate the Zucchini
It’s now time to get out your grater and grate the zucchini! Make sure you do this without removing the skin. You’ll want the skin to be present in your fish cakes to add to the texture. And, of course, the skin provides a lot of nutritional benefit!
Cook the Zucchini
We know that zucchini adds a lot of great texture to any recipe, so keep that in mind while you’re cooking your zucchini. You’ll place the zucchini in a medium size pan with some coconut oil and cook it for 3 to 5 minutes over high heat, but not so long that it loses its crunch, and ultimately, its texture! Be sure to salt the zucchini lightly as it’s cooking.
Related Post: Spanish Rice and Beans
Combine the Ingredients
The fish cakes can’t get fried until we’ve combined our ingredients, so here’s where we do that! Add your flaked fish and zucchini to a mixing bowl, followed by 2 eggs, almond flour and a pinch of Himalayan salt and black pepper. Gently mix all the ingredients until they are well combined.
Fry the Fish Cakes
Your fish cake batter will make about 8 fish cakes (unless you choose to make them smaller than pictured). However, to make them as pictured, ladle out 1/4 cup of batter for each cake.
Ladle the batter into the same pan you used to cook the zucchini, and fry each fish cake on high heat for 1 minute per side.
And last but not least: Serve with Tahini Sauce!
When the fish cakes are all done, serve them with the delicious (and easy-to-make) tahini sauce (recipe below)!
Related Post: Simple Chicken Recipe: Savory Shredded Chicken
Zucchini Fish Cakes (with Tahini Sauce)
Zucchini Fish Cakes
- 1 lb fresh, wild-caught cod, or your favorite white fish, cooked
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 free-range, organic eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, separated
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- pinch of Himalayan salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (I use Frank's)
Zucchini Fish Cakes
- Without peeling or removing the skin, grate the zucchini.
- Place the grated zucchini in a medium size pan with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and cook the zucchini for 3-5 minutes over high heat; salt lightly. Do not overcook or zucchini will lose its crunch.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the fish and grated zucchini. Add the eggs, almond flour, salt and pepper. Continue mixing gently.
- In the same pan used to cook zucchini, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Ladle out 1/4 cup of batter, or enough to make 1 fish cake. (The batter should make a total of 8 fish cakes.) Fry each fish cake for 1 minute per side on high heat. Repeat this process until all 8 fish cakes have been cooked.
- Serve with Tahini Sauce.
- Mix tahini, water and hot sauce in a small bowl, until you have a smooth consistency.
THERE’S MORE OF WHAT YOU LOVE: